What are my options of not having to testify if I’ve been served paperwork to appear in court for my boyfriend’s jury trial regarding his being an habitual drug felon?

The papers were delivered by a county cop but not handed to me personally.

Asked on November 15, 2015 under Criminal Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can speak with attorney about the exact way the papers were served on you, and you should do so in person, so the attorney can get all the details: if there was an error in service, you may be able to avoid testifying. But if the papers were served correctly, you will almost certainly have to testify: there is no right or privilege to not testify against a boyfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.