ive been married four years and he has taken care of me and my children when hes gone what are my rights?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Family Law, Michigan


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When people get divorced there are many possible avenues to pursue. There is potential alimony, potential child support, issues regarding insurance and issues regarding real and personal property.

In general the court attempts to provide the parties involved with as close to their standard of living as possible post divorce. However the court also takes into account a persons ability to provide for himself as well.

What I advise is that you contact a local divorce lawyer, review your finances and your husbands finances. Determine expenses and what you hope to end with. At that point specifics are needed to begin the proceedings. I know this isn't a very cut and dry answer but divorce is very confusing and each case is different so you really need to sit down and discuss the specifics with an attorney. Good luck and feel free to post again with additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.