Whatt o do if ‘ve been involved in an accident with an ambulance?

The ambulance went through its redlight with the siren and lights activated. It came accross the intersection without the driver looking, right in my path and I hit the front passenger side. I did not see it coming at all.

Asked on September 23, 2012 under Accident Law, Delaware


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In most cities and municipalities, emergency vehicles are still required to obey the rules of the road even when they are responding to emergencies.  You state the ambulance came through a red light without looking.  In the majority of cities, emergency vehicles are required to stop and make sure an intersection is cleared before heading through a red light.  If the ambulance was at fault for the accident,  you have the option of making a claim with the owner of the ambulance.  In some citites, it is the city itself that owns and operates ambulances.  Other times they are owned and operated by private ambulance companies.  Keep in mind that many cities and municipalties have a strict deadline for filing a claim against the city itself.  In Arizona, there is a strict 6 month deadline for filing your claim.   I would suggest you contact an attorney in your area.  He or she can hear all of the facts of your case and give you a more informed opinion with respect to what your legal options might be.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.