I’ve been in america for 16 years, can i get a green card ?

Hi, i’ve been living in the USA for the past 16 years now. I got here legally
before i was 14 and still don’t have my documents. Am i eligible for a green
card/social security ?

Asked on August 24, 2016 under Immigration Law, Connecticut


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

On what basis did you enter the US and what steps did you or your family take since then, if any, to get you a more permanent status?  You cannot just get a green card and/or social security card if you are not eligible for it and just because you  may have entered legally 16 years ago, if you entered as a visitor, for instance, that legal status has long since expired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.