If I have a leak in the wall ofmy bedroom andit has been like that for months, what canI do if it is only getting worse?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You have several options here. This is due to the fact that very residential lease contains an implied "warranty of habitability". This is a guarantee given to a tenant that they will live in a clean and safe rental (i.e. "habitable" premises). Accordingly, if your landlord fails to perform necessary maintenance and/or repairs, you can either repair the problem and deduct the cost from your rent; withhold your rent until the repairs are done; or terminate your lease and vacate.  

However, before pursuing any of these self-help measures, you should consult directly with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant cases.  If you fail to follow proper legal procedures regarding these remedies, you could be in legal trouble.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.