is this injury a lawsuit

my 33 yr old daughter the Friday before labor day, august 31 2018, her work
rented a boat, bought alcohol had a ‘out of the office day’ my daughter is in a
salaried position. her boss, the owner of the company stated he would give her
1000.00 to jump off the Ballard bridge in Seattle. she did, she had 3 rib
fractures, a pneumothorax and a neck fracture. c2 level. she spent 5 days in
hospital 2 or 3 days in the icu. thankfully she has full mobility still lots
of pain, dizziness and blurry vision she was off work 2 months. she now has
10,000.00 medical bill over and above her insurance and she will incur more
debt her boss, the owner has not given her the 1000.00 she is afraid even if
she talks to an attorney she will be fired and blacklisted from further jobs. I
know she will have problems for the rest of her life because of this. she
called me crying because she couldn’t show her 6 yr old a somersault. she is
physically and emotionally a wreck

Asked on November 16, 2018 under Personal Injury, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Someone cannot sue for their own bad choices. Your daughter is a 33 year old adult and mother of a young child, yet made the voluntary and very poor decision to do jump off of a bridge. Her employer bears no legal liability for either her injuires or related medical and other expenses.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, you absolutely may not sue when you are "encouraged to accept a dare." She did not have to do this; she chose to. It being her free choice to have jumped, she cannot hold anyone else responsible for the consdequences of her voluntary action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.