What constitutes defamation of character?

I’m a social worker in a junior high. The staff at my school was given a anonymous district climate survey in which we were told to be “honest. constructive, and professional”. The following was written and sent out this morning to the entire staff, “It is hard for the students to find one of our social workers, because she is continually in a certain teachers room even during his instruction time, which is completely inappropriate. I know that I am there for my students and most of them feel free to speak to me about anything”. This is a false statement with no proof. It may impact my job.

Asked on June 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation.

Libel is written defamation.  Slander is spoken defamation.

Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.

Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in a lawsuit for defamation) would include mental distress, physical illness, medical expenses, loss of friends and associates resulting from the defamation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.