Is this defamation and can charges be filed?

Someone has used my business page link along with a post, with slanderous
information and accusatory wording and threats, which is all false, and can be
prove to be false, on Facebook. This seems like defamation, as it is including
both slander and libel? Would there also be a possible charge of threat me
personally? The post itself has nothing to do with a business concern at all.
It’s something made up about me personally and linked to my business page. What
can be done?

Asked on April 22, 2017 under Business Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Defamation is a false statement communicated to a third party who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation. Every repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation) in a lawsuit for defamation would include emotional distress, loss of friends and associates, and if applicable, physical illness.
Libel is written defamation.
Slander is spoken defamation. Some slanderous statements may require proof of pecuniary loss (lost income).
Punitive damages (a substantial amount) to punish the defendant's intentional, wrongful acts are recoverable in a lawsuit for defamation.
As for the threats the actual words would need to be known to determine whether they constitute assault or extortion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.