What can I do about sexual comments that my supervisor makes to me?

A supervisor of mine kept making sexual comments to me and was explicit about things that he wanted to do to me even though I said no and stop.

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Sexual harassment is against the law, and any unwanted sexual comments or attention may be harassment. First thing to do, if you haven't already, is to report this to either human resoures (HR), if your company has HR, or to the supervisor's supervisor--you need to give the company a chance to take action and stop this.

If the company will not take action, then contact either the federal EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) or your state's equal/civil rights agency about filing a complaint--you may be entitled to monetary compensation. Alternately, you could retain an employment law attorney and look into filing a lawsuit for the harassment--but you'll have to pay your own lawyer, whereas the government may help you for free; it's often a good idea to start by contacting the government agencies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.