Is making fun of my medical condition allowable in the workplace?

First off I have epilepsy. My assistant manager uses it to make me feel inferior and has told me privately that I should not be working there. She belittles me on a daily basis and has told me to

Asked on June 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

While an employer could legally take you off work which you could not safely do if you have epilepsy, such as heavy equipment operator or bus driver, that is not the situation you describe: you do not mention any real negative effect or impact on, or risks to/at, work. When a medical condition does not have a direct and real effect on work, an employer may not discriminate against you for having a condition--and not discriminating includes not harassing you, not belittling or mocking you, and not insulting you in front of other employees, etc. It is illegal under federal (national) law to discriminate against or harass employees due to disabilities or medical conditions.
If your employer does not take effective action to stop this behavior after you have put upper management or HR, etc. on notice of it, they may implicate themselves in the discriminatory conduct, by allowing it. In that case, if the employer will not help you, you could contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC, to file a disability-based discrimination complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.