Is there precedent for workplace harassment cases based upon tracking an employee’s hours without tracking the hours of other employees?

Is a manager answerable for all employees accounted time if one employee is required to provide proof of accounted time?

Asked on October 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You didn't give much by way of details here. However, as a genenral rule not all employees need be treated the same. Generally, an employer can set the terms and conditions of the workplace much as they see fit. So unless your employer's actions violate the terms of an employment contract, union agreement or its own company policy, it is permissable to track your hours without doing so for other employees. That having been said, if your treatment is the result of some form of actionable discrimination or retaliation then you may have a claim here.
Discrimination in the workplace is illegal it if it is based on an employees being a member of a "protected class". This means that an employee cannot be singled out for differing treatment based on the their race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability. If they are, then that is against the law.
If you thhink that your rights have been violated, you should consult directly with an employment law attorney and/or contact your state's department of labor to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.