Is there are law that protects workers from doing excess work that they are not entitled to do, nor get paid for?

Since the firing of my co-supervisor, I have been doing the work of two people. I have not been given the title nor the pay of the higher supervisor, and I have been doing it for over six months. I have the title of a office supervisor and have been doing my job as well as the warehouse supervisory position.

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unless you are protected by a written employment contract, or an employee handbook with job title rules that can be used as contractually binding against the employer (which is very rare), you are an employee at will.  This means that you can be fired for no reason at all;  therefore, you can also have your job duties increased without pay, and there really isn't anything you can do about it.

Except that "at will" also means you can leave if you find a better job, where you can be paid for the experience you've gotten over the last six months.  It's time to update your resume, so it shows what you've been doing, not just what you've been getting paid for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.