Is there anyway to get my money back from an auto repair?

My friend paid a car guy $6,500 for some work on his car (something with the engine). And the guy took like 6 months to do it. When he finally got the car back, he was hesitant, because there was a part not in the car that he thought had to be there. But, the guy reassured him that it was fine to drive. So, he drove it for 2 months, then it broke down. So, he took the car back to the guy to have it fixed and the guy has had it for over 6 months and still hasn’t fixed it. He is without a car, get rides from co-workers and had to turn down a job because he had no transportation to the workplace.

Asked on December 10, 2011 under Business Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that your friend have a face to face meeting with the owner of the automotive repair facility as to the status of getting his vehicle repaired in a timely manner and the possibility of getting a rebate of money paid.

As to filing a suit against the automotive repair shop for for possible faulty workmanship on the car, your friend will need to consult with another mechanic to see if that mechanic who did the initial repair fell below the standard of care.

You might want to consult with your state's bureau of automotive repair about making a possible complaint against the mechanic still working on your vehicle if his response to your questions are not adequate as to when the vehicle will be repaired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.