Is there anyway I can keep an overpayment of 180k?

I was accidentally payed 186 thousand dollars over my normal wages. Is there any
way I can keep that money?

Asked on October 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid not. Your employer accidentally overpaid you; you did not win the lottery. Keeping such money would constitute unjust entichment, somethig that the law disfavors. Accordingly, you need to work out a repayment arrangement with your employer. And think about it, if you had mistakenly been underpaid then they would legally owe you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.