Is there anything we can do ifmy grandfather’s Will was changed 3 weeks beforehe passed away?

One of the witnesses is willing to recant there signature and state he was not in his right mind to be signing any type of paperwork.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Estate Planning, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for his death and for your situation.  You have ever right to challenge the new Will if in fact you think that your grandfather was not "of sound mind" when he signed it.  If some one brought him to an attorney to make up a new Will you can try and prove "undue influence" of another upon your grandfather who was in a frail mental and/or physical condition.  The facts surrounding the situation will matter here.  Was he on medication that made him unaware?  Did he have medication?  There is a saying that he had to know "the objects of his bounty" or in other words, those who were his loved ones and should have inherited.  You will need some legal help and the time frame to have the Will set aside can be short.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.