Is there anything they can do to make me pay the rent if I moved out because my roommate was selling drugs?

I am now being threatened to be sued if I don’t pay the rent.

Asked on October 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease agreement with your landlord for the unit you occupy, you need to carefully read the document in that it controls the obligations owed to you by the landord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

Most likely there is no provision in your lease allowing you to terminate your lease with your landlord if your roommate was selling drugs forcing you to move. As such, you would be legally liable for your contractual obligations under the lease. If you have time left on your lease with your landlord, you are obligated to pay what you agreed to him or her on a monthly basis.

I suggest you call your landlord about the situation that you have with your roommate to see if the landlord would voluntarily cancel your lease in a dated and signed writing.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.