Is there anything I can do about DMV’s decision to suspend my license?

I drove someone else’s car and they didn’t have insurance so I got a ticket and was found guilty of driving a car with no insurance. I bought my own car, have insurance on it, then I got a letter that my license has been suspended. I owe the $500 fee, $145 reinstatement fee and am required to carry an sr22 for 2 years. I was not told this would happen, and will lose my car and insurance because of it because I don’t have the money for this. Is there a way to ask the fee be waived through DMV since it was a one time thing in a car that didn’t belong to me and I have insurance on my own vehicle?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under General Practice, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The question is when you drove the vehicle that had no insurance upon it, did you have insurance to cover you for any damages that you might cause while driving someone else's vehicle? If so, then possibly you have a basis to appeal the suspension of your driver's license in that you did not know that the vehicle you were driving had no insurance upon it.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who is experienced in appearing in administrative hearings before the department of motor vehicles in your state about the question that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.