Is there anything I can do to avoid something happening or do I wait until something happens to press charges or get a restraining order?

I’m in the process of selling my house. I bought a new house but the settlement days are not the same so the buyer of my house agreed to a 4-day leaseback so I do not have to move out before my new house settles. The buyer of my house has a public Facebook page; she and her friends are posting messages threatening to stalk and harass me during these 4 days of leaseback. Is there legally anything i can do to avoid a situation happening?

Asked on August 19, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest for the present that you simply print out the Facebook page "threats" pending the closing of the sale and e mail your concerns with copies of what you print out to your presumed real estate agent placing him or her on notice. In the interim, you might wish to consult with a real estate attorney about your concerns and present him or her with the Facebook information that you have in hand and follow the advice given.

Presently, you do not have a legal basis to file for a protective order since you have yet to be harassed yet by the buyer of your home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.