Is there anything I can do about a former empolyer giving me a bad reference?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you have a legal basis to do anything from a legal perspective against your former employer giving you a bad reference depends upon what the reference actually states.

If the reference is written up as a form of an "opinion" then you do not. If the reference has untruths in it perhaps you may particularly if the untruths are defamatory. Typically a former employee really has no legal basis to contest a poor reference by his or her former employer. However, you should consult with an employment attorney and go over with reference that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.