Is there any way to get around the one year waiting period to marry someone in a correctional facility?

My fiance heard that if he makes me his power of attorney, I can get us married outside of his facility. Is this true?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

That does not sound right.  I doubt that you could be the POA in this situation but rather sopme one else would be a Porxy, not POA for the marriage.   Generally, the only way around the waiting period is to ask a court to shorten it.   Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.