Is there any way to file for bankruptcy that doesn’t cost hundreds of dollars?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you can file yourself if you cannot afford an attorney. Here is a link to a site that will provide bankruptcy basics as well as all of the forms that you will need to file:

Additionally, if after reviewing everything you feel that you will need help, check to see if you qualify for Legal Aid or see if it can recommend someone to help you. Also, check if there is a law school nearby to where you live; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle these cases. Further, you can contact the local Bar Association in your county; it may have a list of attorneys who will take your case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances.

Fianlly, in order to file for bankruptcy, you must pay a filing fee but in certain cases, the fee can be waived. You will need to complete an application with the court. The bankruptcy judge will then decide whether the fee will be waived. However, they cannot waive your filing fee if your income is greater than 150% of the federal poverty line.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.