Is there any way to amend a clause in a property settlement agreement from a divorce?

My ex-husband foreclosed on a motorhome that we owned together without telling me. They are now suing me for $18,000. I am trying to file bankruptcy but because the property settlement agreement says we can’t he can come back and sue me. My bankrupcy claim would be null and void. I was wondering if there was any way around this?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for the information about what is written in the agreement  But one would really need to read the agreement in while in order to let you know what your options are here.  If your ex husband did something that was in violation of the agreement then you need to sue him based upon same.  You can bring him is to the lawsuit by the bank or lender if there is a basis for same.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.