Is there any way other than refinancing to have my name removed from a mortgage?

My ex doesn’t qualify for a refi even though he can afford the house.

Asked on December 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The other way besides refinancing a home to remove one's name on a loan is to simply to sell the home to a third party. Lenders as a general rule are very reluctant to simply remove a person's name from a loan who simply does not want to remain on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.