Is there any way, in CA, to get items from the home when all is left to one person?

My grandfather either had a living trust or left a will that gave everything to my cousin upon his death. In the home he was left are still things that were left to me many years ago by my grandmother my grandfather never gave them over to my aunts, sister or myself, is there any way now to get just those things? Not looking to ask for the house or any monetary things left to my cousin.

Asked on August 29, 2016 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there was a prior written will that left items to you, you may be able to enforce that will in surrogates or probate court, via a legal action--IF you deem it worthwhile to go that route. If you want to do this, consult with a probate attoreny: this is a not-typical situation, and you'll need a lawyer's assistance.
If there was no will, then even if your grandmother said she would give these things  to you, if she never did, they were never given; the remained hers, so that when she passed away, they became your grandfather's, which means they then passed according to his will or living trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.