Is there any way I can move out of my mom’s house when I graduate high school if I will only be 17?

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If in your state, you can show you can emancipate yourself at 17 and support yourself (food, water, shelter, income), then you would need to file now and show how you can support yourself. If you cannot support yourself, a high school graduation at 17 is not in and of itself sufficient for you to be able to move out on your own and support yourself. If you get into any trouble, theoretically your mom can still be held liable for your actions. Better to just simply wait the extra 12 months and move out when you reach 18. This way, your mom won't be and cannot be held liable for any of your actions because you will no longer be a minor and further, you can move out or go to school or work and your mom will have no say in the matter. Talk to local counsel (even legal aid) about emancipation information. Now this would be different if there is abuse in the home. If there is abuse in the home, get thee to a lawyer immediately. You may have to show you can live with someone else until you reach the age of majority.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.