is there any way for me to see if i am devorced

he said we were divorced and got married again but I never received any papers

Asked on February 24, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

More and more counties are posting their family law cases online... so you may be able to look online, punch in your name and your husband's name and see if a divorce was granted.  The divorce would have to be filed in a county where you live or he lived.  The agency responsible for maintaining divorce records are the district clerks.  If they do not have an online system, then you would need to call them and ask them their procedures for searching and requesting records.
If your ex-husband will tell you which county he filed in, that would make the search easier.  Many times people file petitions for divorce and think that the petition is enought to perfect a divorce.  A divorce is not final until a final decree is entered.  So... make sure you inquire about getting a copy of your final decree of divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.