Is there any recourse if an employer skipped about 4 years in paying social security?

They deducted it but never reported it to SS. Is there a statute of limitations for this? The new owner (from same group of investors as always) began paying properly about 4 or 5 years ago but nothing was done to rectify that I am missing years from my social security record. Some one said there may be a 6 or 7 year statute but this person is afraid to say anything for fear of losing her job or creating a hostile work environment. Does it matter that the person works in a federally subsidized senior housing building?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is always a statute of limitations. Depending on the exact circumstances, this would probably be governed by the statute of limitations for fraud or breach of contract, which is 6 years for either. Therefore, you would seem to potentially be able to sue to recover sums wrongfully taken or withheld from you up to six years ago, but not sums older than that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.