Is there any recourse for a tenant who’s former landlord won’t stop calling?

The landlord is verbally claiming damages but has not sent anything in writing. (it’s been over 3 weeks since we moved out) He kept our security deposit but seems to think we will pay to replace 10 year old carpet if he keeps harassing us by phone. What can be done to stop him?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Very little can be done if he is calling on his own behalf; creditors or alleged creditors may contact their purported debtors fairly freely to collect money they claim is owed  directly to them. (If he was using a third-party collections agency, you could tell them to stop contacting you under the rules of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, or FDCPA.) You can simply hang up as soon as you hear his voice, or screen his calls and not pick up at all--nothing obligates you to talk to him. If he actually files a lawsuit seeking the money, you'd have to respond (file an answer) or lose by default; but unless and until he files a suit, you can ignore him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.