What recourse is there against an employer if it as been depriving an employee of off time without pay and falsifying their timesheets, for months if not years?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If an employer has not paid you everything you are entitled to for the number of hours you have worked, you could sue the employer for the money; in your lawsuit, if you can prove that you worked additional hours and/or otherwise were entitled to more pay, they'd have to pay you. Alternately, you could contact your state labor department and look to file a claim; the labor department does not involve itself in all employer/employee disputes, but it does look into certain timekeeping and wage and hour issues, and may be able to help you (and without you having to pay for a lawyer).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.