Is there any reason to need your married adult children’s birth certificate when applying for a fiancé visa?

My dad has recently asked me for a copy of my birth certificate to aid in the application of a fiancé visa. He said it was to help prove his citizenship and his ability to provide for his future spouse. However, when I tried to look up fiancé visas online I couldn’t find any such requirement. Did I miss something or is there any other logical explanation for him needing my birth certificate?

Asked on March 22, 2014 under Immigration Law, Nevada


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no need to provide a birth certificate of a child when applying for a birth certificate but maybe he needed some information from the birth certificate itself in order to complete information on the application.  You can give him a copy of the birth certificate, however, as that is not really an issue; he can obtain a copy of it himself if he is your father, from the state office that issues them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.