Is there any legal recourse regarding a verbal real estate agreement?

A former boyfriend of 9 years and I orally agreed to purchase a house using his VA loan because my credit was not as good as his. We agreed that I would pay the bills and maintain the house. I withdrew over 30K from my pension toward the closing, downpayment, and upkeep of the house. Now that the relationship is dissolving he no longer wants me in the house and is not adhering to our verbal agreement; although he has never lived there put in anything into the home or paid any bills. I even made the agreements with the realtor and the tenant who also lives in the house. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


Michael D. Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes, but it is a hard case to prove.  You need to move quickly to get a lis pendens on the property.  This requires a lawsuit ASAP.  I am admitted to practice in NJ and worked there for 8 years, even though my office is in New York.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.