Is there any legal recourse against my adult daughters convicted military rapist who gave her an STD?

Asked on June 6, 2014 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter may be able to sue her attacker for both assault (rape or sexual assault is an intentional tort) and for giving her the STD (if he knew or reasonably should have known that he had an STD, then engaging in sexual intercourse, whether consensual or not, would likely be considered to have been negligent, reckless, or even an intentional harm). She should speak with an attorney with experience in legal actions involving service personnel. It is even possible that she may have a cause of action against her attacker's superior officer, if he or she knew that this person presented a danger (e.g. had previously attacked someone else; or had made threats against your daughter) but knowing of that, still took no protective action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.