Is there any legal document the tenant can sign that will guarantee me that they would vacate the apartment other than their word?

Served the tenant a Notice to Quit, she said she can be out within 3 weeks. Is there any document she can sign that will guarantee me that, other than her word? ? Can I use that document to throw her out if she doesn’t comply or would I have to go thru the eviction process nonetheless if she doesn’t leave as promised? Is it better to just stick with the eviction process?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, from a practical matter any written document that is a contract signed by a party is only as good as the word of the person signing it.

One way to possibly get the move out when promised by the tenant is to have the tenant give you so much money up frony as a deposit on her word of a move out by a certain date and have her sign a document stating that if she does not move out by that date the deposit is forfeited. However, most likely she will not sign the document at this point in time nor give you additional money up front.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.