Is there any kind of time limit on reporting an accident?

Or on liability if we are forgoing the insurance company? Someone baked into my car. Moderate cosmetic damage, (big dent). They are working with me on getting it repaired. But I was wondering if I have a time limit of how long their legally liable.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Accident Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

So as I understand the question here you and the person who backed in to you are trying to have the repairs made with out going through his insurance.  He probably does not want to report it because then his rates will go up, correct?  Generally speaking, you have an obligation to report all accidents to the police and to your insurance company.  The "time limit" problem that you will run in to is if this guy backs out of repairing the car ir if it is negligently repaired. If there comes a time that you then wish to report the claim to his or your insurance you may be out of luck.  There is a clause in policies that makes it your obligation to "timely" report an accident or claim.  If that is not done then the insurance company can disclaim coverage for lack of notice.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.