is there any authorization form for me to represent my dads rental properties?

I am not a licensed realtor. But i am looking for a form to give me
authorization to speak on behalf of my dads rental properties with an appraiser
to protest the value of the house. I am filing his property taxes for him.
Figured i need some documentations to give me permission. DO i need a specific
form or can i just write one up? thank you

Asked on May 27, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A power of attorney (POA) from your father, if he owns them personally, would work. That would give you the same authority that he has, as owner, to take action, get information, etc. in regards to the property. You don't need to use a specific form, though using a standard or commercially available POA, or one prepared by an attorney, will make sure the form is correct. You also have to make sure it is executed, witnessed, and notarized properly, so having an attorney do this for you is strongly advised.
If the property is owned by an LLC or corporation you father owns, a simple letter from him, as managing member or president of the company, stating that you are the company's representative, should do. The company could even pay you, even if only a nominal amount, for your time and make you an employee or consultant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.