Is there an easy process to become an American citizen after living in the US for 46 years and beig married to an American citizen for 23 years?

I’m a 56 year old female, parents are US citizens from the 80s, came from Cuba in 46 years ago. I had a test fobia that prevented me from doing the test.

Asked on February 22, 2013 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you entered the us lawfully and have overstayed and are now married to a us citizen you can be petitioned for permanent residence on the basis of marriage.  You  do not get automatic citizenship unless your parents naturalized before you turned 18.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.