Is there a way you can prove year to date income other than the W-2 to satisfy the requirements for the Affidavit of Support (I-864)?

I am a US Citizen, my wife is a Japanese Citizen. I have been a student with no income for the 3 years prior to October of last year. Therefore, my income on my tax return is only $3,200. I have made over $20k this year. However, my employer cannot issue me anything until next year for this. Is there anyway to prove year to date income without your tax returns?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Immigration Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What about pay stubs?  Or what about something from your employer on their letter head or from their accountant that certifies (like notarized) that you have made x amount of money to date? Would the court accept such as document in lieu of a W-2?  I think that they would.  As long as it is not you certifying the amount (although on child support documents you do swear that the information provided is true) I think that it will be fine  Your employer or his or her accountant would be a neutral and independent party in the matter.  They have nothing to lose or to gain by supplying the information. Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.