Is there a way to make a business provide you your original contract with them?

I signed up for a 6 month contract, they put it in the system as a 12 month contract. They refuse to give me a copy of my original contract. Now no one is returning my emails or calls but still take money out of my bank account monthly. I was told all I can do is cancel my bank account but I am afraid if I do that they will send me to collections. The deal was 6 months $100 cancellation fee if broken. Now at the end of my 6 months,they are saying no it was a 12 month contract and you have to pay 1/3 of remaining balance.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under General Practice, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and get the contract that you signed with the company that you are writing about is to write it  a letter asking for such within a certain date and if not provided, you will terminate your agreement with it and cease the authorization with your bank for an automatic withdrawal of any monthly charge you may be receiving as to it.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need.

If you get no compliance, follow through with what you wrote to the company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.