Is there a way to keep collectors from coming after me, if I get married and soon to be spouse owes money to various people?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The key here is keeping your accounts separate.  They can not attach assets of yours alone.  But once the accounts are co mingled and there is a judgment against your spouse, they can pull from the joint account or a joint tax refund.  Best to try and settle things asap.  Good luck.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The only way to stop debt collectors and creditors from pursuing you for payment on past due or defaulted debts would be to file for  bankruptcy. Bankruptcy has powerful effects, both good for the individual (stopping collections efforts; discharging debts) and bad (potentially having to liquidate assets or live according to a strict, court-ordered budget or plan; significant damage to credit rating).  Rather than make the decision what to do on your own, you are advised to consult with a bankruptcy attorney--many will provide a free initial consultation (you can ask about this prior to coming in).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.