Is there a way to get out of a co-signer contract regarding a car?

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Uncategorized, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country there are only a few ways for a co-signer to be released from his or her obligation under a car purchase contract. They are as follows:

1. the lender releases the co-signer from the obligation in writing;

2. the loan is paid off in full concerning the car;

3. the loan concerning the car is refinanced where the co-signer does not agree to be responsible for the new loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.