Is there a way to get a title for a vehicle that was sold without one?

I bought a car from a storage lot which he gave me a bill of sale but not a title. What should I do?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under General Practice, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The best way for you to try and get registered title for the vehicle you bought from a storage lot is to contact your state's department of motor vehicles to see what it suggests for transfer of title. One way is to contact the registered owner of the vehicle to see if he or she would sign over the pink slip to you. I doubt that you will get a positive response to that request.

The other way is to file a lawsuit against the registered owner seeking a declaration that you are the owner from the court of the vehicle. If you get the order, you take the certified copy of it to the department of motor vehicles to effect the transfer to registration to your name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.