Is there a way that I can insure that I get the money that my grandmother left for me?

I am 17 years of age. My grandmother, who was my guardian passed away last year. She left everything that she owned too me, but since I’m 18 my aunt is in charge of whatever it is that I receive monthly. I wanted to know what happens when I turn 18. Is there a way that I can insure that I get the money that my grandmother left for me? A while ago, I stumbled upon a paper that said I will receive a certain amount of money a month for the next 2 years but my aunt never actually showed me the paper.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In the eyes of the law, you are a minor.   Thus, you can't appear in court without a guardian until age 18.  However, you can ready yourself so that at that time you are not first loking for a lawyer to advise you and experience delays becuase you are not prepared.  I think while you are an "innocent" minor, you should ask your aunt for the paperwork.  Get a copy of the trust.  Ask her if the trust was formed under the will or not and who the trustee is?  Once you have that information, you have the best shot at securing the money in trust.  Ask the trustee if you cen get duplicate statements (copies of any statements she gets).  If you stumble on any papers, take them - either make a copy or just retain them.  These may prove useful to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.