Is there a time limit for collecting back alimony and retirement benefits?

I was divorced in 1991. In 1998 my ex-husband sent me a letter saying he was no longer going to provide me any financial support. He was living overseas and I could not afford an attorney. So, I did not pursue the matter. Our settlement agreement was for $1000 a month spousal support as well as a percentage of his Naval reserve retirement (which he has been collecting for approximately 5 years). These were figures that he suggested when the agreement was drawn up. He is again living and working overseas, but maintains a home in VA. I have never remarried and am retired. Since I did nothing earlier, is it too late to recover any of the lost alimony or retirement benefits?

Asked on September 14, 2010 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may be prohibited from going back too far for the money based upon the statute of limitations as to contracts, but you may not be precluded from going after him for recent back monies owed and possibly for being in contempt of a court order. In other words, say the time to sue on the agreement is 6 years.  So you can go back 6 years from now but you may bot be able to collect the previous 6 years before that.  You need to act quickly, though, especially as to the pension issue.  You need to obtain a judgement against him for as much as you can. That judgement will be a right to collect back monies owed, insure future monies paid and insure that you can collect from his estate and that your estate can collect the judgement if need be.  Get legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.