Is there a Texas Rentors Law about the air conditioning?

The unit is 1 ton too small for the house. The thermostat shows several degrees more than the setting. The back room of the house is about 95 degrees. It so warm that my son has allergies and is causing problems for him to be comfortable. He is breaking out with a rash do to allergies and heat. Our bill is so ridiculous already for this time of the year.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Personal Injury, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, you need to read your lease for the house.  Does it say anything about the air conditioning or the air conditioning unit?  Does it make any representations or promises about the air conditioning?  It is difficult here to answer your question specifically without reading the lease.  Generally, if the house becomes uninhabitable you may have a real issue with the landlord.  You need to speak with a legal professional in your area as to specifics.  There are also  two tenants' rights organizations in Texas that may be able to provide you with some help:

Texas Tenants Union
4228 Main St
Dallas, TX 75226

The Austin Tenants' Council
1619 E. Cesar Chavez
Austin, TX 78702
Counseling Line (only for residents of the city of Austin and Travis County)
(512) 474-1961 (M-F 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.)

The Austin Tenants' Council offers tenant-landlord counseling online, via email. Submit your query to They require that you provide the following information along with your question:

  • Your Full Name
  • Your Address (include City, State and Zip Code)
  • Whether you are a tenant, landlord, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.