Is there a right of way law?

We are having some trouble with a new neighbor down at the park where my parents have a cottage. We have owned the land there for about 12 or 13 years and until recently, when the new neighbor bought the land right behind both our cottages, we were using a trail that runs down to the beach. Now that the new neighbor he has psoted it and said he will call the cops if we use the trail. Do we have any rights to the trail that we have used longer than the guy has owned the property, especially since he just bought the lkand he posted in the last few months?

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

WHat you are referring to is obtaining a prescriptive easement to use the land under the theory of adverse possession.  You are sure that the deed does not have an easmement in it (his and yours)?  What he is doing is staking his claim to the property and telling you point blank that it is his and not yours.  This is a prelude to an action to "quiet title" which is the other side of the coin to an action by "adverse possession" so to speak. A claim of adverse possession can be made if an individual “openly, notoriously and exclusively” uses someone else’s property continuously for 10 years, believing he has the right to do so. You need to really speak with a lawyer and give him or her all the facts.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.