Is there a possibility to win if I sue the person who sent defamatory emails about me to multiple people?

This stranger sent 5-6 email to my boyfriend about my personal life.I’ve been working at the strip bar secretly and someone found out that i work there and took a pic of me and sent to my boyfriend and multiple people. However, the job was cash job and I did not registered as a legal worker. So If the person send more email to my friends and if it impact me badly, can I sue the person or is it gonna be hard because I worked illegally. If I win, what will be happen? Would I get money or can I send that person to jail? If I get money how much would I get? nd if he goes to jail, for how long?

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written in the fact of your question, if you were actually working in a strip bar and photos were sent to others showing such, I see no defamation for you to complain about. The reason is that for something to be defamatory about a person the statement or depeiction has to be "false".

I understand that you may be embarrassed about what happened, but such does not seem to be an actionable wrong.

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney further about your matter to see if you actually have a legal recourse over what you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.