Is there a nationwide data base for marriage licenses?

Asked on January 24, 2013 under Family Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is not a government data base of marriage licenses.  If you know a particular state where a person was married, the state may allow public access to the information.  If you don't know a particular state, the you could turn to a private data base.  Many state's often resle their information to private companies who compile the information and include them in background reports, very similar to credit reports-- but instead of listing credit history-- they list a personal history like where a person has lived, who they have been married to, and what vehicles they drive.  These private companies usually require you to sign a user agreement and pay a free for accessing their data base.  If you type in any person's name, it will usually turn up an advertisement for reports on finding people.  Many private detectives and investigators already have access to these resources.  If you are looking for only one or two people, then you may want to hire a PI to run a report for you so that you don't have to go through they expense of subscribing to a service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.