Is there a limit to how much you can recieve for pain and suffering.I was not allow to do any work for three weeks and restricted for two more

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Accident Law, Louisiana


David D. Kervin, Jr. / Law Office of David Kervin, Jr., LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, there is a limit.  If no bones were broken or you didn't receive anything more serious than soft-tissue injuries, courts generally limit pain and suffering to about $2,000 to $4,000 per month of pain suffered.  Of course, this is in addition to wages lost, medical bills and other special items.

B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Louisiana attorney, so I don't know if the law in your state has a tort limit for these damages.  However, if there is, I doubt that your case will come out high enough to worry about that.

You suffered a reasonably serious injury, and it should be worth fairly substantial compensation.  How any particular set of injuries is valued, varies by the place where the case would go to trial, and often the skill of your attorney makes a difference as well. One place to find qualified personal injury lawyers is our website,

Where there are state laws limiting pain and suffering, they impact mostly on the people who most need compensation, those who have had extremely serious injuries and, often, are permanently disabled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.