is there a legal way, other than payment, to get out of a property lien?

loan company no longer based in US. Also lender closed loan with my self and domestic partner as married couple.

Asked on July 31, 2018 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the lien was mistakenly placed on the property, or the underlying debt was is invalid/has been paid in full, then it can be removed. Also, most judgement liens have to be renewed. In NC, such a lien will remain attached to the debtor's property (even if the property changes hands) for 10 years. If it is not so renewed, the lien can then be removed.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you can show the lien was based on a mistake (e.g. directed at the wrong property) or that the underlying debt had previously been paid in full, you could have it voided by the courts. Or if you can show that the underlying debt is invalid (e.g. based on fraud), you could escape the lien on that basis. Otherwise, however, you will have to pay the lien to remove it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.