Is there a grandfather clause for changing my mobile home into real property?

They say I have to have a 24 inch foundation under it.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can have your mobile home deemed a fixture upon real property that you own depends upon whether or not the local government building and permit department and zoning department having jurisdiction over your land will allow you to affix the mobile home to a permanent concrete foundation.

You need to go to these two governmental departments in the city/county where the land you want to improve to make inquiries if this can be done and if so, what required permits need to be taken out. You also need to go to the county tax assessor to see if the property will be reassessed if you make the installation of a permanent foundation to affix the mobile home to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.